Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5

Golden_eyes

Canada
670 Posts

Posted - 02 Aug 2006 :  00:53:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by DirkDaring

Was the orignal animated LOTR's good enough that we would want to see that style repeated with DOAT? I'm not so sure myself. (Don't take it as an insult Goldeneyes... big fan of your posts!)

Wow, I didn’t know I had fans... in any case, people are entitled to their opinions and I know where you’re coming from. As for the LotR’s style of animation, I don’t think many would want to see Dragonlance depicted that way any more than the majority fans would like A Scanner Darkly's animation for DL—on that point, I agree with you. I still like A Scanner Darkly's animation, though.

“We pity him. We hate him. We fear him – all because there is a little of him in each of us, though we admit it to ourselves only in the darkest part of the night.”—Justarius

Edited by - Golden_eyes on 02 Aug 2006 05:41:45
Go to Top of Page

Sirch

USA
2668 Posts

Posted - 02 Aug 2006 :  02:08:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I dont beleive that you would want the same animation style repeated it was kind of... weird. It just wouldnt make me happy and I dont think its the best choice for this.

Go to Top of Page

Kunoichi Creative
Starting Member

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 02 Aug 2006 :  16:46:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Manga can't do it, do you get that Kunoichi? (from "My Fears" discussion

quote:
Yeah, that's exactly why I'm scared when they say that the movie is going to be done by Kunoichi and that the animation style will be based off of this comic. If it is, then I'm afraid I'm definitely NOT going to watch this movie. It seriously worries me. I'd love to see some beautiful animation for DL as I'm a huge animation fan, but bad designs will definitely ruin it for me. Hmmm...maybe we should start a petition or write letters...

Hi everybody! Just wanted to chime in and hopefully put some fears to rest. First off, Kunoichi doesn't actually produce the DL comic book, but we do work very close with Devil's Due Publishing who does. Kunoichi utilizes a lot of the talent that hails from Devil's Due, but we work with many talented artists from around the country and overseas.

When the producer for DL came to us (at GenCon 2005), we were thrilled to be given the opportunity to work on this project. Once we got rolling, we carefully went back and forth with the director to make sure we nailed the look for each character - getting input from the entire creative team.

Steve Kurth (the illustrator on the comic) has a wide ranging style that adapted some of the look of the comic, but really hit home the personalities of each character...It's certainly not "manga", but it's not the comic book look either. Steve had an intimate working knowledge with these characters and it made sense to have his skills on the animation character development.

That's what we do at Kunoichi. We're not exclusive to any type of style. We simply find the right talent for each creative project we're involved with.

All I can say, is wait and see. As a long time DL fan myself, it's exciting to see these characters come to life. I can't tell you how many times I've stared at those paintings from the 80's and thought to myself, "I don't know if I would draw him or her that way." But I was still excited to see it visualized. We're fans too, so we first tried to please ourselves when designing them. Hopefully, you'll like them too.

Thanks again to Cindi, Will and the teams at Kickstart & WoTC. Also, thanks go to Margaret and Tracy for providing a great story with such rich characters. You guys are great!

Aaron Hübrich
Creative Director
Kunoichi, Inc.
www.kunoichi.com
Go to Top of Page

Dissolution
Starting Member

Canada
11 Posts

Posted - 03 Aug 2006 :  13:41:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Personally I thought Tas looked like boomhauer from King of the Hill in that comic. Scary huh? And yeah, Raistlin looks terrible.

Overall, not bad artwork however.

Rob Schneider is, a CARROT!
Go to Top of Page

DALATHAR
Starting Member

Argentina
5 Posts

Posted - 03 Aug 2006 :  22:37:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
do you have an idea of when will be released a trailer or a teaser,to se someting?or even the artwork or artist involved ,i personaly like Clyde Caldwell and Ciruelo(the last one is from my own country)you can se their pictures here
http://www.dac-editions.com/xindex.htm
take a time to se the petropictos they are realy awsome

Beneath all the wrath that torments my lonely nigths ,there is still hope. Help me to recover my humanity
Go to Top of Page

Hilljax

USA
94 Posts

Posted - 04 Aug 2006 :  02:23:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Has anyone seen Ultimate Avengers the animated movie? I can see the new DoAT movie as been as being done in this style. Would anyone agree?
Go to Top of Page

Knight of the Sword

USA
54 Posts

Posted - 04 Aug 2006 :  19:08:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Woggie

Is it just me or does Tas look like Bruce Campbell in the first panel?

"FLINT!!, Gimme some sugar baby!!"

The most frightening words to hear from a kender, "Oops!".
Go to Top of Page

tonkatough

Australia
561 Posts

Posted - 05 Aug 2006 :  01:03:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
yeah Hilljax, I took your advice and had a look at some clips of Ulitimate Avengers over at (censored) I think you might be right. I can see DL movie being of this style. The animation is cool but the background art sucked big time. It looked way to simple. I would want the enviroment of DL movie to be more detailed than that and not look like a children's Saturday morning cartoon.

Oh yeah and I am hoping with all hope that the images for this movie will be cinematic with striking compostition and not look like a TV episode of X-men Evolution.

Just have to wait and see.

tonkatough
Go to Top of Page

Hilljax

USA
94 Posts

Posted - 05 Aug 2006 :  03:26:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
tonkatough, I agree the background was very lacking.But for that type of movie the background really was not as important as it would be in DoAT. The backgorund animation will need to be as important as the character animation.

I thought the combination of 2D/3D in it would be similar to what the DoAT will have.
Go to Top of Page

Slaine McRoth
Starting Member

14 Posts

Posted - 14 Oct 2006 :  04:18:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by benallie

The proposed animation style is tough, especially if it follows the comics (Raistlin looks like an anorexic grandmother).

Whats with the deal with hateing Raistlin looking like this??? After all everyone seems to be comparing how he looks to the Elmore version.. Have any of you actually READ the books?? They (the Authors) make it quite clear [time and again] that his body was SHATTERED by the test. Caramon also mentions it time and again... Now in my eyes that means that he would not be a handsome looking man just golden coloured and thin with a bad cough.. He would look like he IS on deaths door because well he IS! He had his life force sucked out of him (well part of it) and Im pretty sure that would play havoc with your body. After all its decribed several times that people recoil in horror when they first see Rastlin. I doubt people would recoil in horror from Elmore's version. In a world full of goblins, hobgoblins, draconians, zombies, undead, Elmore's Raistlin is a teddy bear in comparison with the look of those entities.

There is a passage where Tanis even thinks to himself "how does he cling to life".

I think Elmores' version is wrong and the one in the comic book more like he is actually described in the novels. (maybe a little over exagerated, but very similar).

You need to get Elmore out of your heads and read how the characters are described instead...

Just my 2 cents

Edited by - Slaine McRoth on 14 Oct 2006 04:37:09
Go to Top of Page

Woggie

USA
1035 Posts

Posted - 14 Oct 2006 :  05:53:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
C'mon now, doesn't anyone see it? In the first panel up there, Tas looks like the "Surgeon General of Beverly Hills". That's not necessarily a good thing.

Go to Top of Page

MrStatesTheObvious

USA
1188 Posts

Posted - 14 Oct 2006 :  06:41:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Slaine McRoth

Whats with the deal with hateing Raistlin looking like this??? After all everyone seems to be comparing how he looks to the Elmore version.. Have any of you actually READ the books?? They (the Authors) make it quite clear [time and again] that his body was SHATTERED by the test. Caramon also mentions it time and again... Now in my eyes that means that he would not be a handsome looking man just golden coloured and thin with a bad cough.. He would look like he IS on deaths door because well he IS! He had his life force sucked out of him (well part of it) and Im pretty sure that would play havoc with your body. After all its decribed several times that people recoil in horror when they first see Rastlin. I doubt people would recoil in horror from Elmore's version. In a world full of goblins, hobgoblins, draconians, zombies, undead, Elmore's Raistlin is a teddy bear in comparison with the look of those entities.

I don't remember the description of Raistlin in the book including near-lack of a nose a la Lon Chaney's Phantom of the Opera or even wrinkled skin, for that matter. And the description if I recall correctly mentions thin lips, not a complete lack thereof.

However I will agree that Elmore's Raistlin looks very robust. Raistlin SHOULD look anorexic, but not elderly. Just because he moves like a grandmother doesn't mean he has to look like one.

Kill the men! Kill the elves!
Save the gold for ourselves!
Go to Top of Page

tonkatough

Australia
561 Posts

Posted - 14 Oct 2006 :  12:05:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh come on Mcroth, cut Dragonlance some slack, the fantasy genre has always been romantaicized.

Besides think of the little teen girls who had their first crush or sexual fantasy with the golden, sickly, wizard. they not see Raistlin from your view point.

I don't recall the novels saying anything about Raistlin looking like a shriveled up prune. Sure his health was shattered but he didn't have all his essence sucked out of him by a vampire.

The novels make it pretty clear that Raist helth is shattered by mention his weakness, hard to breath, coughing blood, yadda yadda. Sounds like internal damage to me, not physical or cosmetic.

And yes, of coarse everyone is gonna is freak out when they see raistlin, he's got gold colored skin and hour- glass pupils for pete's sake.

Go to Top of Page

zalem
Starting Member

USA
18 Posts

Posted - 14 Oct 2006 :  19:19:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes, I have read the books. That's exactly the reason why I don't like the comic book version of Raistlin. Elmore's version is a romanticised version of Raistlin and also incorrect as well. No one is arguing that point. But like others mentioned, just cause he moves like an old person doesn't mean he looks like one. He's described as being dreadfully thin and very gaunt, but nowhere is he described as looking like he is 90 years old. He's sickly not old.
Go to Top of Page

Golden_eyes

Canada
670 Posts

Posted - 14 Oct 2006 :  20:53:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh, so he looks old to you guys? To me it looks like he flesh got melted in a house fire...or on a steak you might say...*shivers*

Personally, I don’t like Elmore’s view of Raistlin just because I think that (besides depicting him in an exaggeratedly robust manor) he made his features too broad. I like Stawicki’s version much better because you see the thin lips the slim, shattered, and hunched posture, and he looks rather evil also, though still hansom in a way--but, of course, not as hansom as his brother. I think it’s probably the closest to how he’d really look, not how the comics display him. But everyone has a different opinion on how he should look, so please let's not insult each other because we've imagined Raistlin differntly from one another.

“We pity him. We hate him. We fear him – all because there is a little of him in each of us, though we admit it to ourselves only in the darkest part of the night.”—Justarius
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Dragonlance Movie Site Forums © Cinemagine Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000