Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

tonkatough

Australia
561 Posts

Posted - 02 Jul 2006 :  09:05:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yahoo! They're making a animated Dragonlance movie. I have been checking on this webiste for the past five years, but with this announcment I was so excited I wanted to blow my horn.

First up i just want to say that Dragonlance Chronicles are my all time fsvourite, much loved fantasy saga. As much I love them, I am the first to admit they're trash. I can't believe people hold them in the same esteem as Lord Of The Rings novels and expect them to be treated the same way as Peter Jackson adapted tolkien's work to film. C'mon guys! Dragonlance is based on the dorky Dungeon & Dragons game. It's fun. It's a light weight adventure for youn teens.

Animation is the perfect medium for Dragonlance. There are some amazing animated projects getting around at the moment. Samuri Jack, Star Wars: Clone wars for example. I would love to see this vivid, hyper active style used to tell the Dragonlance story.
And If you are still not convinced that animation is not a perfect medium for Dragonlance then check out Princess Mononoke or hunt around on the net for the trailer to the new Earth Sea animated movie by studio Ghibli.

I love dragonlance and I'm pumped for this movie. But the only thing that is making me wring my hands with worry is the 100 minute running time. that is just not enough time. should be 2 hours at the most.

tonkatough

Haralion

Canada
959 Posts

Posted - 02 Jul 2006 :  15:04:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
where did you hear it will be 100 minutes long?

"Pain is temporary, film is forever" , Peter Jackson
Go to Top of Page

brianm
Starting Member

30 Posts

Posted - 03 Jul 2006 :  04:04:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Haralion

where did you hear it will be 100 minutes long?

It's in the FAQ on this site:

The movie is an animated feature film and will have a running time of approximately 90-100 minutes. (http://www.dragonlance-movie.com/moviefaq/faq14.asp)

- Brian
Go to Top of Page

Neddo-35

87 Posts

Posted - 03 Jul 2006 :  05:42:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
thats crap. it should be longer how can u tell all the important things that happens in DoAT in less than an hour and a half
Go to Top of Page

Golden_eyes

Canada
681 Posts

Posted - 03 Jul 2006 :  06:14:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What the hell? Who the **** decided to make it 90-100 mins long? That's ridiculous!

Okay, so it's 100 mins, going to be an animated movie, and they cast Lucy Lawless as Goldmoon who's claimed she has never done voice acting before. There better be some light at the end of that there tunnel or I'm going to--- I hope this doesn't turn out to be as bad as the D&D movie...Okay, I'm exaggerating, but you know what I'm saying.

“We pity him. We hate him. We fear him – all because there is a little of him in each of us, though we admit it to ourselves only in the darkest part of the night.”—Justarius
Go to Top of Page

tonkatough

Australia
561 Posts

Posted - 03 Jul 2006 :  06:36:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Relax guys. Just stop for a minute and think about it. If you look at the FAQ section regarding the movie, you will notice that one of the companies involved is Kunoichi. This company is responsible for the conceptual art and storyboarding for this film project. This is the same company that did the recent comic adaptation of Dragon Of Autumn Twighlight. So it is obvious that this movie is an adaptaion of the comic (graphic novel) that is an adaptation of the novel.

An animated movie is better than live action. Just because live action worked for Lord Of The Rings does not mean it will work for Dragonlance. Look at the Narnia movie. They tried to ape Lord Of The ring movie, even used Weta, but the movie came out flat and dull.

Plus in the next two years there are a ton of fantasy movies coming to Cinema: Eragon, Warcraft, Golden Compass, Harry Potter 5, Mutant Chronicles, prince Caspian. All of them live action and over flowing with cgi effects.

An amimated DragonLance will seem like a fresh of breath air. It is a smart marketing move. I trust Margret and tracey completly and admire their boldness to do something diffrent with their beloved story and not just jump on the Lord Of the Ring try hard band wagon like every other movie studio is doing with their fantasy projects.

tonkatough
Go to Top of Page

Golden_eyes

Canada
681 Posts

Posted - 03 Jul 2006 :  06:52:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Say what you will but I believe that no matter how great the animation or how wonderfull the story, there are still so many people who just shove animation aside like it's nothing. I just hope that DL is different. I hope it does start a newfound appreciation for animated movies, but I'm in doubt of that. We can look at the pros and negs of the fact that it's an animated movie, but it really boils down to one thing and one thing only: the audience. They are the target market for all media and what they want goes, and it seems that what they want is CGI Lord of the Rings clones, and trying something different could either be a breath of fresh air or a fatal error. What I'm saying is that this movie is going to be animated and presumably 100 mins long but all we can really do is sit back and watch what will happen in the next year or so. Ultimately, It'll be the audience decision on what flies and what crashes.

“We pity him. We hate him. We fear him – all because there is a little of him in each of us, though we admit it to ourselves only in the darkest part of the night.”—Justarius
Go to Top of Page

brianm
Starting Member

30 Posts

Posted - 03 Jul 2006 :  11:28:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
90 to 100 minutes is long enough to tell a good story. "Casablanca", arguably one of the best movies of all time, is only 102 minutes long. “On Golden Pond”, not one of my favorites but often hailed as a classic, is 109 minutes long. It’s also about standard for animated features. Both “Heavy Metal” and Bakshi’s “Fire and Ice” are shorter than 90 minutes. Now, can you tell Dragons of Autumn Twilight in 100 minutes? Probably, but some things are going to get cut. It’s been a while since I read that book, so I’m sure I’m not remembering everything that happens in it. Still, I can think of a few things (gulley dwarves, for instance) that I wouldn’t miss. Even at three hours, they’d need to cut something.

Which isn’t to say I’m fine with this and everything is hunky-dory. I’m worried about the writer. I’m worried about the director. I’m worried about the character design. We still don’t know enough, and this project could still go either way.

- Brian
Go to Top of Page

tonkatough

Australia
561 Posts

Posted - 03 Jul 2006 :  12:57:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was so excited by this news that I grabbed my Dragons Of Autumn twighlight novel off the shelf and read it all over the weekend. There is a lot you can cut with out ruining the story.

For starters all of the history and backstory and the traveling between action scene could be cut. For example when hero escape the kitchen of Inn of The Last home there is a page of writing of hero climb down rope, hero run across ground, hero out the front of Tika house. In a movie with quick editing you would see hero exit kitchen down rope and cut to front door of Tika house open and hero enter and hide. You would cut 80 pages from the book right there. You could have it that once hero defeat black dragon, just have them captured by draconians and shipped off in cage. This cut out another forty pages of hero return to solace. There is no real need to show that. Plus I would personally like to see the darken wood scene dropped as it contirbute nothing to the story.

So if it means making a much more tighter, exciting improvement of the novel I am all for it. In fact the comic has probably laready done this. Has anyone read the comic series/ What changes have been made to the comic as the comic would better examlpe of what the movie will be like more than the book.

tonkatough
Go to Top of Page

Haralion

Canada
959 Posts

Posted - 03 Jul 2006 :  16:25:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
well 100 minutes is short, i don't wanna make my party pooper again, but heck,they're gonna cut a whole lot of things it's inevitable. Although many movies fit into this time frame, try to imagine LOTR lest then 2 hours, hell try ti imagine it under 3..... under 2 hours is unrealisatic for a story such as this one, but hey , i'm not the one doing it and i don't have all the answers but an hour and a half to an hour and fourty minutes, character development scenes will have to go, so it'S gonna be missing something....... man i sure hope not, i wanna be positive about the whole thing, but the more i get information, the more it scares me, i wish someone would come up and show us something, anything so we could have an idea ......

Go to Top of Page

Woggie

USA
1035 Posts

Posted - 03 Jul 2006 :  16:49:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I agree, cut alot of the travelling sequences. We don't need to see companions walking down the road for hours.

BUT.....

quote:
Plus I would personally like to see the darken wood scene dropped as it contirbute nothing to the story.

That scene is the focal foreshadowing point. It shows us, for the first time, how powerful Raistlin is becoming and gives us a hint about Sturm's death. It may not really say anything about DoAT, but it does show us ALOT about the future books.

Go to Top of Page

Tasslehoff

Canada
424 Posts

Posted - 03 Jul 2006 :  22:32:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
90 minutes.... They probably just don't wanna draw a lot. Why did they do this for Dragonlance? Its probably because they are lazy and they are aiming for a lower audience of age. We should have a poll of what age everyone is that posts here, and average it out. It would probably be way older than what the intended age.

Go to Top of Page

Neddo-35

87 Posts

Posted - 03 Jul 2006 :  23:17:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
well im 14 and im pretty shur im one of the youngest. by readin through all the forums ive figured that out by some of u sayong how u have already worked on some movies or are in school lerning how to get good at the cgi stuff or making movies.
Go to Top of Page

Tasslehoff

Canada
424 Posts

Posted - 04 Jul 2006 :  03:59:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm also 14, but i've been reading them since I was 12. I am also aware that I am a younger DL reader, but I still the movie to be illustrated just like the books. And I want them to keep the boots scene in. (In side forum joke from a couple years ago)

Go to Top of Page

brianm
Starting Member

30 Posts

Posted - 04 Jul 2006 :  12:18:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Tasslehoff

90 minutes.... They probably just don't wanna draw a lot. Why did they do this for Dragonlance? Its probably because they are lazy and they are aiming for a lower audience of age. We should have a poll of what age everyone is that posts here, and average it out. It would probably be way older than what the intended age.

It appears they're aiming for a PG-13 rating, which looks about right to me for a project like this. And means you guys just barely make the cut for being able to see it. ;)

It also means they are not just making a "cartoon". They're not even aiming for the hip parents with kids crowd that was wowed by "The Incredibles". I'm expecting something more along the lines of "Princess Mononoke" in themes and storytelling.

- Brian
Go to Top of Page

Haralion

Canada
959 Posts

Posted - 08 Jul 2006 :  05:16:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
yeah but the story is loaded with backround information, they'll have to leave most of the backstory out in order to make it fit under 100 minutes.... heck i never thought it would be under 2 hours, 3 even...Superman returns is 2 hours and 34 minutes!!!!! see my point? it'S not that Superman returns isn't good or it's too long but, anyway...i'm sure the storyline in DL will be good, damm it was already good in the first place. 100 minutes?...man i hate feeling like i do right now, too pesssimistic about the whole thing.... but i so want it to be good!.... that's the reason i chose to become a filmmaker, to do a movie with it, a live action one. So i'm cleearly gonna be over critic about the whole thing.....my bet would have been more in the lines of 2 and a half to 3 hours, more if possible,which is relatively in the bounderies of Studio acceptancy ....don't you think?

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Dragonlance Movie Site Forums © Cinemagine Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000